Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Blessedness of Confession

“For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up* as by the heat of summer. Selah I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin.” (Psa 32:3-5 ESV)

Two time presidential candidate John Edwards has been very much in the news for the last several days because of an affair that he had with Rielle Hunter. After denying the affair, he finally confessed to it in an interview with Bob Woodruff of ABC News. In that interview, he said that he had "made a mistake" and that he had confessed that mistake to his wife, and to his Lord, and had found forgiveness. I couldn't help but think about this incident when I read this text this morning as part of my Bible reading schedule.

The purpose if this writing is not to criticize or cast judgment on Mr. Edwards. I sincerely feel sorry for his wife and family. My hope is that he really does know the Lord Jesus Christ, and that he truly has received forgiveness, not only for the sin of adultery, but for all of his sins. The truth is, there is no one reading this, including the writer or is without sin, and in need of God's forgiveness through the merits of the Lord Jesus Christ.

But this incident reminds us of some truths about confession--truths that are found in this psalm. Allow me just to list some of them for you.
  1. Happy is the man whose sin is forgiven. “Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity,” (Psa 32:1-2 ESV) There is no greater joy, than knowing that all is well between you and the Lord, and that all of your sin is confessed and forgiven, and no longer held against you!
  2. Miserable is the Christian who is living with un-confessed sin. “For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up* as by the heat of summer. Selah” (Psa 32:3-4 ESV) They are the recipients of God's chastening hand. They are acquainted with Godly sorrow, because the Spirit of God that lives within them is grieved, they are going to be grieved!
  3. Confession involves more than saying "I made a mistake." “I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,”” (Psa 32:5 ESV) Notice that the psalmist did not say, "I confessed my mistakes" but rather, "I acknowledged my sin...I will confess my sin." A mistake is something that you did not intend to do. A sin is on purpose. It is rebellion against the commandments of God. It is much worse than a mistake. Jesus Christ did not die for our mistakes, rather He died for is sins!
  4. God is faithful to forgive when true confession is made. “and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah” (Psa 32:5 ESV) This is something that we should stop and think on. God has forgiven you dear reader of every sin, if you have truly confessed it in dependence upon Christ! Therefore you can pray with confidence! “Therefore let everyone who is godly offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found; surely in the rush of great waters, they shall not reach him.” (Psa 32:6 ESV)
  5. Confession of sin gives confidence in time of trouble. “You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with shouts of deliverance. Selah I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.” (Psa 32:7-8 ESV) One of the most important elements of this is the confidence that God will lead and guide us!
  6. Confession of sin restores our ability to enjoy our God. “but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the LORD. Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart!” (Psa 32:10-11 ESV)
  7. Confession of sin is evidence that we are truly trusting the LORD. but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the LORD.
"Father, please help us to confess our sins to you, and not live in the misery of unconfessed sin. Thank you for the promise of your Word that tells us that if we confess our sins you are faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousnesses." Thank you for the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have forgiveness of our sins."

No comments: