Monday, August 11, 2008

How Do You React to Bad News?

“As soon as I heard these words I sat down and wept and mourned for days, and I continued fasting and praying before the God of heaven. And I said, “O LORD God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, let your ear be attentive and your eyes open, to hear the prayer of your servant that I now pray before you day and night for the people of Israel your servants, confessing the sins of the people of Israel, which we have sinned against you. Even I and my father’s house have sinned. We have acted very corruptly against you and have not kept the commandments, the statutes, and the rules that you commanded your servant Moses. Remember the word that you commanded your servant Moses, saying, ‘If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the peoples, but if you return to me and keep my commandments and do them, though your dispersed be under the farthest skies, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place that I have chosen, to make my name dwell there.’ They are your servants and your people, whom you have redeemed by your great power and by your strong hand. O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of your servant, and to the prayer of your servants who delight to fear your name, and give success to your servant today, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man.” Now I was cupbearer to the king.” (Neh 1:4-11 ESV)

How do you respond to bad news? Our automatic first response to bad news can tell us a lot about our hearts. In Nehemiah's case, his response was to weep and mourn, which are understandable human responses. But that is not all that he did. He prayed and fasted. This tells us where Nehemiah's confidence was. It could have been said of him, “He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD.” (Psa 112:7 ESV)

Prayer and fasting indicate that we are in fact trusting in the LORD.

Notice several elements of his prayer.

1. He recognized the greatness of the God to whom he was speaking. “O LORD God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments," It is very important for us to realize that when we pray we are not just saying words in the air, but talking to the "great and awesome God" who is faithful to keep His promises.

2. He requested that God hear His prayer. "let your ear be attentive and your eyes open, to hear the prayer of your servant that I now pray before you day and night for the people of Israel your servants,"

3. He confessed sin. " confessing the sins of the people of Israel, which we have sinned against you. Even I and my father’s house have sinned. We have acted very corruptly against you and have not kept the commandments, the statutes, and the rules that you commanded your servant Moses." If we confess and repent of our sin, no matter what they have been, God will hear and forgive. This will put us in a position to get our prayers heard and answered.

4. He claimed a promise. "though your dispersed be under the farthest skies, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place that I have chosen, to make my name dwell there.’" There are so many faith strengthening promises to claim, all of which God will be faithful to keep and honor.

5. He made His request. "They are your servants and your people, whom you have redeemed by your great power and by your strong hand. O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of your servant, and to the prayer of your servants who delight to fear your name, and give success to your servant today, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man.”

This pattern is so often repeated in Scripture that we dare not overlook it but pay close attention to it.

What problems are you facing today dear reader? In closing consider the following promises of God from todays reading in Psalms.

“Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind! In the cover of your presence you hide them from the plots of men; you store them in your shelter from the strife of tongues. Blessed be the LORD, for he has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me when I was in a besieged city. I had said in my alarm,* “I am cut off from your sight.” But you heard the voice of my pleas for mercy when I cried to you for help. Love the LORD, all you his saints! The LORD preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride. Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the LORD!” (Psa 31:19-24 ESV)

1 comment:

David L. McMullen said...

Good Post!

Reminded me of a great, and some what supporting, verse which our hurting people and land are in need of recognizing.

2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Perhaps a little off your thoughts but still...

David