Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Sanctification and Glorification of God

“Then Moses said to Aaron, “This is what the LORD has said, ‘Among those who are near me I will be sanctified, and before all the people I will be glorified.’ ” And Aaron held his peace.” (Lev 10:3 ESV)

The context of this verse is the offering of strange fire by Aaron's two sons, Nadab and Abihu, and their death by the consuming fire of the LORD. It is interesting to me that God said that he would be sanctified among those that are near to him, and glorified before all people. Those who are near to God, must always remember that God is quite different, and set apart as Holy. The one who is our Father, is the Holy Majestic God of the universe. It seems that Nadab and Abihu lost sight of the holiness of God, and thought that they could just offer to Him what ever they wanted to, instead of offering to Him only what He had commanded them to offer. They thought that they could do worship "their way" and it cost them their lives.

By their very death God was glorified before all of the people. It is also interesting to see that Aaron never said a word about the death of his sons. I cannot imagine the Lord taking my two sons, and not being able to say one one word about it. It seems that he knew in his heart, that they had stepped over the line and their death was just.

“As he was getting into the boat, the man who had been possessed with demons begged him that he might be with him. And he did not permit him but said to him, “Go home to your friends and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.” And he went away and began to proclaim in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done for him, and everyone marveled.” (Mark 5:18-20 ESV)

How precious it has always been to me, that this man begged Jesus that he might be with him! This is truly the mark of a regenerated person. They desire to be with the Lord Jesus Christ. It is wonderful to realize that we can be with the LORD, spiritually. “and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” (Matt 28:20 KJVS). “for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” (Heb 13:5 KJVS)

But one day, praise the Lord, we will be with him in a much more profound way; “In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.” (John 14:2-3 KJVS)

Just like this man though, at this time we have been left here to tell our friends what great things that the Lord has done for us, and how he has had mercy upon us, so that God will be glorified in their eyes.

No comments: