Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Remembering the Truths that Bring Hope

“But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;* his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.” (Lam 3:21-26 ESV)

In the first part of this chapter, we find the prophet Jeremiah, really describing how desperate his situation is. He ascribes his bad fortune as coming from the hand of the Lord. Over and over again, he says things like: “I am the man who has seen affliction under the rod of his wrath;” (Lam 3:1 ESV) “he has besieged and enveloped me with bitterness and tribulation; he has made me dwell in darkness like the dead of long ago. He has walled me about so that I cannot escape; he has made my chains heavy;” (Lam 3:5-7 ESV)

The very word "lamentations" expressions of regret or disappointment over things considered unsatisfactory, unreasonable, or unfair :

However right in the middle of all of these grieving and complaining, it seems as if Jeremiah remembers some things that bring him hope. He remembers who God is, and what God is like. God's love never ceases. His mercies are new every morning. He is faithful, He is good t those who wait or him, and the soul that seeks Him.

He concludes therefore, that it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of God.

How easily do we forget these things. How we need to remember them, and live in hope!

1 comment:

David L. McMullen said...

Hi Pal,

It is good to see you having time to post your thoughts. I have missed some of the subtly which I find in some of your thoughts. In these I tend to find something actually worth thinking about that is challenging in a positive manner. That is not being presented by many these days.

Your Friend

David L. McMullen