Saturday, July 19, 2008

Thank God We are Under a New Covenant

““And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever.” (1Chr 28:9 ESV)

“And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules.” (Ezek 36:26-27 ESV)

I am thankful this afternoon, that I am no longer under the Old Covenant, but under the New Covenant. Under the Old Covenant men were required to obey the commandments in order to have the blessing and presence of God in their lives. Under the New Covenant is is the blessing and presence of God that causes men to walk in the commandments of God.

It is the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit that enables men to delight in, and walk in the commandments of God. We don't obey the commandments in order to get the Holy Spirit, but the Father has given us the Holy Spirit in order that we can obey the commandments of God.

I can live a life of obedience, because the Holy Spirit lives in me. God will bless my obedience, but the truth is my obedience is evidence that He has already blessed me !

"Father, thank you for the precious blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, that was shed to cleanse me from my sin, and cause me to be pure, so that the Holy Spirit now indwells me and empowers me for obedience. Thank you that you bless obedience, and the obedience is a sign that your blessing has already been poured out on me."

2 comments:

David L. McMullen said...

Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

I too am happy for the New and Better Way, the Truth, and the Life.

Good Post Bro.

David

Joel said...

Thank God!