Thursday, May 22, 2008

An Illustration of How to Treat One's Enemies

“David sent messengers to the men of Jabesh-gilead and said to them, “May you be blessed by the LORD, because you showed this loyalty to Saul your lord and buried him. Now may the LORD show steadfast love and faithfulness to you. And I will do good to you because you have done this thing.” (2Sam 2:5-6 ESV)

There are people in this world who don't like me. They speak ill of me. If they had the opportunity to do ill to me, they would. I would like to think that I am an enemy of no one. I don't want to speak ill of any one, and I can honestly say that in my heart I don't desire to do ill to anyone. There are some people that I would rather they just left me alone.

In this text from 2 Samuel, David illustrates for us how to treat our enemies. His greatest enemy at that time was none other than his king, King Saul. Saul had tried to kill him on a number of occasions, and even hunted him, and would have killed him if he could have caught him. David had two opportunities to kill him, but refused. He recognized Saul as the Lord's anointed, and therefore refused to do harm to him.

When David heard that Saul was killed, he mourned. He then blessed the people who had blessed and been loyal to Saul.

May we learn a lesson from this. May the Lord help us to be gracious and kind to our enemies, instead of vengeful and bitter. Isn't that what the greater Son of David commanded us to do?

“Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets. But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also. Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.” (Luke 6:26-30 KJV)'

Dear Lord,
Forgive me for the bitterness in my heart towards others. Help me to forgive them, and treat them graciously no matter how they treat me. Thank you that when I was your enemy, you poured out your grace and forgiveness on me.

No comments: